Share This Post

Featured News / Featured Slider / politics

Chiwenga fit for historic triple burial at Heroes Acre, government says

Chiwenga fit for historic triple burial at Heroes Acre, government says

HARARE – Acting President Constantino Chiwenga who was last week temporarily eased out of the presidency by President Emmerson Mnangagwa on health grounds is back at work, the government announced on Tuesday.

Chiwenga, 64, was last week reported to be “worse for wear” and was “ordered” to go home by Mnangagwa, according to a spokesman for the presidency.

Government spokesman Ndavaningi Mangwana on Tuesday announced that Chiwenga would on Wednesday preside over a historic triple burial of three “national heroes” in Harare – former ministers Joel Biggie Matiza, Sibusiso Moyo and ex-prisons boss Paradzai Zimondi who all died from Covid-19.

It would be the first time that three people are buried at the same time at the Heroes Acre, a hilltop shrine in Harare where the ruling Zanu PF party buries its “heroes”, typically so-chosen on the basis of loyalty to the party and often disputed heroism during the 1970s war of independence.

Chiwenga, one of two vice presidents and also the health minister, took over as Acting President from Kembo Mohadi until the end of January.

The government maintains that Mohadi is in good health and at his farm in Beitbridge, rejecting reports last week that he is also unwell.

ZimLive

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>